Owning a swimming pool is enjoyable and great family fun. The downside is the cost of ownership. Many pool owners will tell you that the benefits outweigh the costs. These costs are not set in stone. There are some things that you can do to save money. Therefore, effectively reducing your cost of ownership. Check out some of our pool money saving tips below.
5 Pool Money Saving tips
- Don’t backwash your pool too long or too frequent. The first step is to learn how to properly backwash your pool. Never backwash longer than necessary. Stop your backwash the moment the sight glass goes from clouded to clear.
- Repair leaks. It is very important to find, fix, and repair pool leaks immediately. Having a leak means your pool is losing water. Continuously having to replace water means more unnecessary money out of pocket.
- Run your pool pump at night. Most electric companies peak hours are from 7:00am – 7:00pm. Run your pool pump at night during off-peak hours.
- Upgrade your pool pump to a variable speed pump. Variable speed pumps are designed with a 90% efficiency rating. These pumps are designed to reduce flow rate when it is not needed (i.e. tasks that require minimum flow). This means less energy usage. You can save $600 – $1100 off of your utility bill annually because of the lower energy usage (amount varies depending on your utility and pool size).
- Don’t let your pool water turn green. Keep pool chemicals in check. Don’t let the chlorine in your pool drop to zero. Plan ahead. Having a pool party? Shock your pool afterwards. Heavy storms passing through? Add extra chlorine. Extremely hot and sunny? Stay on top of chlorine levels and fight evaporation.
Looking for more information and additional pool tips/tricks? Check out our blog.