Hiring a pool service company is always the best option when it comes to maintaining your pool. With that said, many people still take on the challenge themselves. Pool ownership can be challenging in itself, pool maintenance adds to it. There are a few common pool maintenance mistakes that can easily be avoided while trying to maintain your pool.
Pool Maintenance Mistakes:
- Don’t Add shock directly to the into pool. This is not the proper way to add pool shock. The granules can sink to the bottom and bleach out your pool liner. The liner can become brittle and be susceptible to leaks over time. The best way to add shock to your pool is to dissolve it in a bucket of warm water first. This will help evenly distribute the chemical.
- Don’t use an automatic vacuum with pool algae. Automatic pool vacuums can actually make your algae problem worse. It is best to break out the manual vacuum (sorry) with an algae bloom. You will have to switch your filter to waste as well.
- Not being on schedule. Not having a maintenance schedule means your pool chemicals are more likely to be “off”. Your pool water is more susceptible to an algae breakout when chemicals are inconsistent.
- Don’t Ignore pH & Alkalinity. Proper pH creates healthy pool water. If your pool water has low pH it’s very acidic. Low pH can cause extensive damage on your pool equipment. If your pool water has a high pH it’s very alkaline. Alkaline pool water is cloudy, can cause scale deposits, create problems with pool equipment, and much more.
- Don’t backwash too often. While back washing is an important part of pool care, many pool owners have the tenancy to over backwash. Watch your pressure gauge as you backwash, it should read between 10-15 PSI.
With that said, Cannonball Pool Service is a certified, trained, licensed, and 5 STAR rated pool maintenance company. If you live in Southwest Florida give us a call at 239.440.9888.